Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Night Garden


I took this photo a few evenings ago. I was sitting out on our verandah, enjoying both the night air and, surprisingly, the absence of mosquitoes. I looked up and saw this little view. The garden was framed between two white plaster pillars, which I've avoided in the photo, and lit from above by a fluorescent tube. I like the unnatural feel of the light. It has the overly crisp appearance and stark contrast typical of a flash photograph, but the source of light is above rather than in front.

In the photo you can see thin leaved croton on the right (we also have broad-leaved varieties), ginger lily in the left foreground (they look a bit like birds of paradise), and ti or good luck plant (the tall red plant) on the left. 

From where I sit, and took the photograph, we are sheltered from the elements. We have spent many pleasant hours, both during daylight and dark, reading, chatting, eating, and looking out at our little garden. This has been especially enjoyable during the rainy season, when we can watch rains, light and heavy, dance on the leaves of the garden.

No comments: