Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Another pair

Don't worry. I will soon get tired of posting pictures of anonymous trees. Mostly I just like keeping my sister hunting down the names. And just so you don't think I'm being lazy, she really is doing me a service. She has sent a few links, notably a good one for flowering trees on a flickr site. But I've been unable to access it from here. 

As I point out every month or two, the internet here is not nearly as reliable as back home. In addition to power outages, the servers just going down, and a few thousand students trying to download a gazillion movies at once, the ICT department here shapes our internet signal and blocks various sites. The blocking of sites is not a direct form of censorship; it is intended to limit wide bandwidth consumption from what are deemed non-academic sites. 

To this end, I returned from Canada to discover that I can no longer watch youtube. I will have to call the ICT and point out that not everything on youtube is stupid human and animal tricks. In the past few weeks I've been sent three links of an academic nature to youtube that I've not been able to watch. Flickr may be caught in the same net.

To the trees!

Again, I offer you a pair. The first is a lone specimen, located at one end of the track field.



The second tree is also not very common, though I've spotted more than one. In this picture it is just shy of full bloom, so the white pyramids will be larger and more vibrant in a day or two.



It is also located just south of the track field. Both were shot early in the morning (around 6:30am) while out for our early morning dog walk. I usually get up at 6:00am, make coffee, and head out the door by about 6:15am. This is a wonderful time of day — even on hot days this will be a pleasant time to hoof around campus. That is important for my own personal comfort, but it also means I don't short change Chai on the morning walk. But by 7:00am on a sunny day it will start to get unpleasant. Especially if I am marching around with a cup of hot coffee.

4 comments:

vandy said...

How about iced coffee as an option?

vandy said...

Any chance tree number 2 is a jacaranda? http://www.amazon.co.uk/BLUE-JACARANDA-SPECTACULAR-MIMOSIFOLIA-SEEDS/dp/B003I7EBC0
It's harder to see the actual blossoms for this one in your pictures.

Carl + Anna-Marie said...

I drink iced coffee later in the day, but it's hard to kick the habit of starting the day with a hot cuppa.
And nope to the blue jacaranda. The flowers are definitely white, not trumpet shaped, and clustered in a Xmas tree configuration.

vandy said...

Well, definitely it isn't as blue-looking, or lilac-y as many of the jacaranda pics I could find, but on my screen (or in your pictures) both sets of tree blossoms have a faint blueish cast to them.
I was kind of wondering about Locust for the first tree, since the blossoms have a Leguminoseae look, but then the leaves are wrong...