Friday, March 4, 2011

Bungalow Number One

Here are a lot of pictures of my new home. 

Main entrance, middle right
Servant's house on right
These are essentially the before images. Furnishings are minimal, just enough to get us started. The 'us' is my new roommate, Otto, and me. Otto is the guy in a few of the pictures. He is originally from USA but hasn't lived there in some time and also started here in January, in the history department. Otto also has a family that will be joining him in the future, so this is a temporary arrangement.

Blame my upbringing, but I felt it necessary to draw a floor plan to communicate a true sense of the place. If you can make sense of a floor plan, great. Otherwise, just enjoy the pictures. The floor plan is also marked with where I stood when I took each picture.

Click to enlarge for photo positions

1

2
3
4
5
6

7

8
9
10

11
12
13

14

15

16

17
18

4 comments:

vandy said...

Wow! Actually, a whole bunch of wows.
Hey, that's the same shower curtain we have at the new theatre shops. (There's a shower there, presumably for sawdust and paint-covered techies, but also makes it seem like a not bad overnight crash space in times of bad weather: a shower, a kitchenette and couch, and great wifi...)
Ooh, a 'panty' room. Is that more of a live-in closet, or do you do other more questionable things in there? Big sisters wondering....
Servant's quarters?
Overall, a really attractive and classy looking place!

Mary said...

I see what looks like a kitchen sink, but is there a stove? Will you be adding more furnishings or wait until you are joined by your loved ones? I love your postings; please keep them up!

Judy said...

Oh.. my...!!
That's more Roman villa than plain old bungalow! Love the courtyard and screened hallway.
Do you have an intercom system to communicate between the two sides?

Carl + Anna-Marie said...

Mary,
Sink but no stove or fridge. A friend's father who works for an appliance store is getting me a quote on a good brand of fridge. Another friend who has been here temporarily doing research will pass on her cooktop later in the month. Ovens, as in SE Asia, seem to be a novelty; but when "my loved ones" arrive, perhaps we will get a good toaster oven.
Judy,
No intercom. The servants just intuit that they are needed and come running.