Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Convocation

Saturday was convocation.


I was invited to be part of the procession, but decided I would just watch it this year (to get the feel of it, you know). Actually, I dreaded the thought of spending about 5 hours standing around in some British wool gown, with cape and hat. And while the event was under canopies, it certainly wasn't going to be air conditioned. Spoken like a foreigner.

A wise move. It was slated to start at 9:00am, but this was Ghana time. It kicked off closer to 10:00, and those in the procession had to be in place around 8:00am. Students graduating had to be in here at 7:30 to robe up and find their seats. The University choir warmed up the crowd while we waited.


The event did have lots of pageantry. First, the procession of faculty and dignitaries arrived. They were followed by native drumming and dancing, then the choir again, then a few speeches (the first by Kofi Annan, the Chancellor of UofG) — only some were long, tedious, and off-topic. More drumming and dancing (really the best part), then the valedictorian gave a speech, awards of merits were passed out, I left, and finally degrees were handed out to those graduating. I was standing, and my acreage was shrinking, to the point where I couldn't put my weight on both feet at the same time. This resulted in my damaged knee complaining, and off I went.
Kofi Annan addressing U of G convocation
I will have to explain, in the future, that my failure to participate is nothing personal. I have never taken part in a convocation, at any of the four universities I have taught for. In fact, of my own three convocations I only attended one.

1 comment:

vandy said...

Mind you, I could have quite enjoyed a picture of you rigged out as an academic, a la Mr. Chips, especially in such exotic surroundings. Bear that in mind next time...